The Littmann Select is the entry point for the Littmann brand. The Select model is offered as an entry level stethoscope and is priced accordingly. Littmann has kept the construction simple with this design while still incorporating some nice features. The user will find a single tube design which is an excellent graduation for many beginners from the double-tube sprague style. The stethoscope is very light, in part due to the materials used in the chest-piece. Unfortunately this has removed some of the glamorous looks that are common with Littmann stethoscopes. The flat grey coloration on the chest piece does not impress. Littmann has tried to make up for this by offering a nice selection of tube colors.
- Reliable performance for heart, lung, and blood pressure...
- Tunable diaphragm responds with a simple pressure change to...
- Anatomically designed headset is angled to channel sound...
- Latex-free materials for allergy sensitive users
- Non-chill rim and diaphragm provide welcome patient comfort
|Metal Finish Color Options:
|Tube Color Options:
|Black, Burgundy, Caribbean Blue, Ceil Blue, Ocean blue, Peach, Pearl pink, Pine Green, Purple, Raspberry, Royal Blue
The Littmann Select has a tunable diaphragm, which unfortunately has suffered somewhat due to the design and construction of the stethoscope. The range of sounds audible with the Select is not up to the same quality as found in the some of the more advanced Littmann offerings such as the Master Classic II. I question whether beginners will benefit in the long run from an immediate jump to tunable diaphragm. Most users will find this great for obtaining vital signs and basic assessment such as apical pulse and gross lung sounds, but I personally find it’s use frustrating in more advanced assessment especially in patients with larger bodies.
- Single side chest piece
- Coated alloy chest piece
- Tunable diaphragm
- Single tube design
- Adjustable tension headset
- Soft-sealing earpieces
- 28 inch tube
- 2 year warranty
- Tunable diaphragm
- Non-chill design for patient comfort
- Littmann quality and Warranty Coverage
- Simplistic single tube design
- Visually unappealing- no metal finishes
- Light construction can make it feel cheap
- Doesn’t include spare ear-tips or diaphragm
- Poor acoustic performance
- Tunable diaphragm takes skill
The Littmann Select stethoscope offers an affordable entry point for many people looking for a single-tube stethoscope design. The tunable diaphragm may be difficult for some inexperienced users to grasp when learning assessment techniques on different body systems. This model’s diaphragm is on the lower end of acoustic quality, and may leave more advanced stethoscope users asking for more. I would suggest that you try out a traditional double sided stethoscope until you get a good feel for what the different high and low pitch sounds are like, and where it is appropriate to look for those different tones. Overall this model is quite adequate as an entry level stethoscope.