The Littmann Classic III is a solidly designed stethoscope for those individuals wanting good acoustic properties mixed with affordability. The Littmann brand equates quality regardless of which model you purchase. When I initially sought to graduate from lower quality stethoscopes, and more specifically from my Sprague Rappaport design I gravitated toward a Littmann.
The Littmann Classic III offers similar features to that of higher end cardiology stethoscopes while not breaking the bank. While the design of the “classic” models of Littmanns have gone through multiple variations, the Classic III model’s perhaps best feature is the upgraded tubing that Littmann built into the design. The thicker double lumen-single tube design that they integrated into this generation of stethoscope has a similar feel to that of the Cardiology III.
I like the Classic III for its average sub $100 price point. For many individuals who are serious about their job this is a reasonable amount to pay for a good stethoscope.
- Single-piece tunable diaphragms
- Two-sided chestpiece with adult and pediatric sides
- Ability to convert pediatric side to an open bell
- Improved tubing- better resistance to grime and
- Non-chill surfaces
- Single tube-double lumen design
Quality design and durability are apparent
- Amazing Warranty Policy (2 years)
- Wide color selection! (over 18 to choose from which is nice for people who work in specialty kinds of practice eg. pediatrics, OBGYN, etc OR who want their stethoscope to stand out in a crowd)
- Single tube allows for vastly better sound quality of double tube designs
- Tunable diaphragms
- Excellent tube flexibility (can fit in a bag/purse easily)
- Durability-this thing can take a beating under heavy use conditions
- Lack of variation in tube lengths
- Heavier compared with comparable models of the same acoustic quality
- Doesn’t quite carry the features of a cardiology variant, but does come at a higher price point than closest competitors.
The Littmann Classic III is the best stethoscope for its features and price point. It can hold its own from an acoustic standpoint in any setting. In my personal experience with it I feel that I could make an easy assessment of most medical problems with this model. I think for many people this will appeal since we all look for versatility in our healthcare tools given tight pockets, and the need to be adaptable to different practice settings. The Littmann brand and quality carry significant weight at this price point. There are few competitors that make a device with this quality, or who can stand behind the 2 year warranty that Littmann provides. For most healthcare professionals this will be an excellent stethoscope for the brunt of their work.